According to the Center for Disease Control more than 33% of American seniors aged 65 and older are involved in accidents and falls at home each year. For the loved ones of these seniors, those statistics are motivation enough to seek placement for their senior family member in an assisted living center. Here they are never alone and thus can get the medical help that they need as soon as possible.
Such a set-up sounds great for the loved ones but what about the senior? Doesn’t this individual get a say in how he or she will live out their life? Most seniors do not want to be placed in a “home for old people.” Many seniors have their own homes in neighborhoods that they have become accustomed to. They have routines and take pride in making their own food and having the independence to do as they wish in the comfort of their own home.
If you are a senior and want to stay independent you may consider getting a medical alarm. Medical alarms come in the form of a bracelet or necklace with a button attached that when pushed will notify emergency services to come and assist you. More than 1.5 million of seniors use a medical alarm to restore their sense of independence and so can you. Below are just five reasons why you should get a medical alarm if you want to stay independent.
- With a medical alert alarm you have the ability to reach medical personnel no matter where you are in your home. In the case of an emergency you can still call for help even if you are not by the phone. This is especially helpful if you take a fall and cannot move. With a push of a button you can be connected with an operator who can talk you through a minor health concern or who can contact emergency services if the situation is more serious.
- Medical alert alarms provide round the clock protection and is not limited to injuries. With a medical alert system you can notify the proper authorities no matter what sort of distress you are in. In the case of a robbery or other disaster, your same medical alert system can be used to send help right to your door. Some medical alert companies even offer lock boxes for your keys so that those providing you with assistance have easy access to better serve you.
- Another huge reason to get a medical alarm is to give your family peace of mind. Remember that they only want to see that you are taken care of, that’s why they might place you in a senior living center. By having a medical alarm you will provide a strong argument for yourself because you will be able to have easy access to the same type of instant care you would find in a care center but be able to receive that care at home.
- Medical alerts help you to feel safer being by yourself. You may be a bit apprehensive about living alone even when you want to be independent. To feel this way is perfectly natural. Medical alerts give you peace of mind as well. You know that someone else is always a button push away and that is definitely reassuring.
- Medical alert systems are a good investment akin to insurance. If you are worried about the monthly payments or the initial cost of setting up a medical alert system remember that it is always better to prevent an accident or dangerous situation but in the case that something does go wrong, you will be glad that you make the investment and had your medical alert system. How much is your life worth to you and your family?
Leave a Reply