Do you ever find yourself getting overwhelmed or feeling anxious? Do you get stressed over minor life hassles, as well as the major life events? Retirement is the time for enjoying the fruits of the labor of your youth, not feeling the weight of the world on your shoulders. It’s easier said than done, of course! Here are a few tips to help you destress, focus on the beautiful things in life that truly matter (like family and friends), and enjoy the golden years, as you were meant to.
- Jot-It-Down- It’s helpful to have a journal to write down your worries, dreams, and put them on paper. Find a short term solution to all of your worries. All you need to do is identify what it is that’s on your mind, write it down, and then you can find a simple solution. If you can’t write it at the time, then talk about it with a friend and brainstorm. As they say, sometimes two heads are better than one.
- Words of inspiration, take a step back-Find something that inspires you and gets your mind in a happier place. Remember a favorite saying of yours that makes you feel calm, or find inspiration while you lose yourself in a good book or program you enjoy to watch.
- Meditate- Take time out of your day to breathe and just forget about what stresses you. Lay down and let yourself take a small nap to let your mind just wander off. You could even just sit in a quiet place and just focus on happy sounds such as birds chirping. There are many meditation courses and music that are available online for free or for a small fee. You’re sure to find something that takes your mind off your troubles.
- Practice yoga- Yoga is a great way to take your mind off your troubles. Yoga is known for its poses that relieve stress. Yoga is beneficial to the mind and body. Some of yoga’s benefits are flexibility, healthy bones, stress relief, and can help you age gracefully. Check your local senior center, community centers, or online for yoga classes.
- Pets can be man’s best friend, as well as their best medicine- This means just taking a few second to maybe play fetch. You could take your pet for a walk or even give it a cuddle. Pets offer soothing comfort as well as just make you feel a little less lonely. Studies have shown that pets can help keep your heart healthy, fend off depression, and help soothe your stress. Even petting your dog for a few minutes can help you release a relaxation hormone and helps lower your blood pressure. People with pets tend to feel more connected with others and therefore, less lonely, and are happier people overall. No wonder they say that people with pets live longer!
- Why not a change of Pace- Try doing something different with you day something you don’t usually do. Pick up a new hobby, such as gardening, knitting, or woodworking, or take a class to learn something new. Why not go to the mall or catch an afternoon movie? Simply just let yourself enjoy the moments and maybe you’ll meet interesting people along the way.
- Of course, get a hobby!- When you find yourself stressing the small things find something to keep your mind busy. Sewing, fishing, playing golf, or even gardening are all great activities that can keep your mind active, while distracting you from your cares. It doesn’t have to be something difficult or overall active, just something that allows your mind to get distracted and relax.
- Laughter is the best medicine and get out a little- Take some time to laugh and enjoy the humor of life, or a comic strip, as it’s always said, that laughter is always the best medicine. Read a book or find some jokes online. Watch a funny video on YouTube.
- Go for a walk or take a bath. Do something for you!- Even a 10 minute walk or 30 minute bath can make all the difference. Play some soothing medicine, put on a bubble bath, or put your walking shoes on and get active. Getting active can produce endorphins in the brain that will naturally boost your mood. While taking a bath will help wash your worry away.
A peaceful mind can help you solve any problem. Next time you find yourself worrying or getting too bent out of shape, try some of these tips. Then, come back to your problem with a fresh frame of mind. I can’t guarantee your problems will go away, but perhaps, you will find a solution, see you didn’t see before, or have a different perspective.